- 300ml Organic bone broth (beef or chicken)
- 400ml Passata
- 3 x packs Coombe Farm Beef Short ribs, 700g each
- 4-5 Cloves garlic - finely sliced
- 2 Red onions - chopped
- Teaspoon of cumin
- Teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2-3 red Chillies - sliced (depending upon how hot you like it)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 x 400g Tins of kidney beans - drained
- 2 Red bell peppers - chopped into chunks
- Salt and Pepper
- Sliced spring onions
- A dollop of live yogurt for garnish
- Olive oil for frying
1. In a frying pan, soften the onions in a little oil until translucent, then add the garlic, chilli and dried spices. Cook gently for a further 5 minutes or so, until the garlic smells sweet and the spices are fragrant.
2. Add the onion mix to the slow cooker, and wipe out the pan. Pop it back on the hob and heat on high with a little oil.
3. Sear the ribs in the hot pan, until browned all over - you just want to get some colour on these, for great flavour and texture.
4. Add the ribs to the slow cooker along with the pasata, bone broth, and a little seasoning. Cook on low for 7 hours.
5. Add the peppers and kidney beans and cook for a further hour.
6. Ease the bones out of the ribs (the meat will fall apart) and shred the meat, discarding any bits of sinew.
7. Serve with rice, pitta or quinoa and garnish generously with ripe avocado, sliced raw spring onions and yogurt.