Next day delivery UK mainland 5345 reviews 4.71 out 5 rating Award winning produce
For the shortcrust pastry:
- 100g Organic Lard, chilled and diced
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 300g Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Organic Egg, beaten to glaze
For the filling:
- For the pastry, rub the lard and butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add a pinch of salt and enough cold water to bring the mixture together into a soft dough. Prepare a lightly floured surface, knead the dough briefly, then wrap in clingfilm, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C. Mix the filling ingredients together, season well, and place to one side. Once your pastry is chilled removed it from the fridge and roll out on a well-floured surface to 5mm thick. Then fold it in half and roll to 5mm again. Using a plate or saucer, cut 4 circles from the pastry.
- Pile one-quarter of your filling mixture into each circle, leaving a 2cm border all around. Brush the border with the beaten egg. Pull both edges up over the filling and press together to seal. To make a decorative edge crimp the sealed edges. Brush all over with some more beaten egg to finish your pasty
- Bake in your oven for 40-45 minutes, you want your pasty to be golden brown
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving