Next day delivery UK mainland 4316 reviews 4.72 out 5 rating Award winning produce
- Oil, for frying
- 4 Coombe Farm Organic Beef Short ribs, approx. 1.5kg
- 1 red onion, thinly slices
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic puree
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1 large thumb ginger, finely grated
- 750ml beef stock
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice & zest
- 5g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, roughly sliced
- 1 red chilli, roughly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Place a large hob-proof casserole pan or saucepan with a lid over a high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ribs and brown on all sides before removing from the pan and setting aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and lower the heat to medium. Add the sliced onion and fry for 3 - 4 minutes until they start to soften.
- In a separate bowl combine the soy sauce, garlic puree, chilli sauce, brown sugar, five-spice and ginger. Add the browned ribs back to the pan along with the soy marinade and stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Pour in the stock ensuring the ribs are completely covered and turn up the heat. Once the stock starts to boil, bring down the heat to a very low simmer. Place on the lid and allow to cook on the hob gently for 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, place on lid and put in the oven at 150C/gas 4 for the same time.
- Once the ribs have cooked, feel tender to touch and are starting to fall off the bone, carefully remove from the pot, set aside and cover with some foil to keep warm whilst you make the sauce.
- Skim the cooking liquid of any residual fat or oil and discard. Add the sugar and lime zest & increase the heat - you want to achieve a rapid boil. Allow the sauce to reduce for around 20 - 30 minutes until it is thick and glossy and starts to coat the back of the spoon.
- Once the sauce has reduced either return the ribs to the sauce, coat and serve the ribs delicate and tender or place the ribs in a roasting tin pour over half the sauce to coat and place on a medium BBQ or under a hot grill for 2 - 3 minutes to crisp and char. Once a nice crust forms, drizzle over the remaining sauce.
- To finish, sprinkle the ribs with coriander, spring onions and chilli and serve alongside lime wedges.
Buy your ingredients
Organic Beef Short Ribs