1 white onion, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic
1/2 can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 dried chipotle chillies
2 dried habanero chillies
2 tsp Organic cinnamon powder
2 tsp cumin
4 x cloves
400ml Organic beef bone broth
2 tbsp olive oil
Spring Onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3
- Remove any sinew from the diced steak and pat dry with kitchen paper. Season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large casserole pot with a lid and brown the steak on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Soak the chipotle and habanero chillies in hot water till soft. Remove stems and roughly chop.
- In a food processor, add the onion, garlic, chillies, tomatoes, tomato puree, salt and pepper and blitz till smooth marinade.
- Return the meat to the heat and add the cloves, bay leaves, cumin and cinnamon, stir till fragrant.
- Add the marinade to the pot along with the beef stock and cook on a low heat for 4-5 hours till meat is tender and juicy. If it begins to get dry in the slightest, add more beef stock.
- Serve on warmed tortillas topped with pickled onions, crumbled feta, salsa macha, spring onions and a good squeeze of lime juice.