Next day delivery UK mainland
4.74 out 5 rating
Award winning produce
Ingredients & instructions
Moroccan Style Beef Tagine
A Simply Beef & Lamb recipe using the best Coombe Farm Organic ingredients.
With minimal effort involved, this dish is perfect for feeding a crowd and can be left on the hob or in the oven to slow cook. Diced cubes or organic stewing steak are dusted in flour mixed with a combination of pan-fried Moroccan spices, onions, garlic, stock and chick peas. This recipe works well cooked in a slow cooker too.
- Prepare: 25 Minutes
- Cook: 3 Hours
- Serves 8
- 900g organic diced stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 15ml/1tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan spices, e.g. Ras El Hanout (available in the spice aisle at larger supermarkets)
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 600ml beef bone broth
- 1 x 400g can chick peas, drained
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Place the flour in a large, clean, plastic food bag, season and add the cumin and Moroccan spices. Gently toss the beef cubes in the seasoned flour to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 160°C, Fan, Gas Mark 3,
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the beef in batches. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan add the remaining oil and cook the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes then transfer to the casserole.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and cook in in the oven for 2½ hours, or until the beef is tender. Alternatively, cook the stew on the hob for 2-2½hours.
- 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the chick peas and return to the oven.
- Garnish the stew with the yogurt and mint and serve with steamed couscous, rice or mash.