Whole organic turkey
400g woodchips (we like the flavour of beech)
A camping mess tin
A large galvanised bin
- Drill 2 holes into the bin lid. Pass a length of wire through and tie the ends securely, creating a tight loop that’s strong enough to hold the weight of the turkey.
- Find a safe place to position the smoker, away from the house, fences and sheds. Position the bin on the 3 bricks, put the firelighter into the mess tin and light it. Gradually pile the wood chips on top until they begin to smoke. You don’t want them to be burning with an active flame, just smouldering.
- Place the tin the bottom of the bin, heaping all of the wood chips on top.
- Securely tie the turkey’s legs together with string then suspend it, using the S-hook, from the wire in the lid.
- Place the lid on the bin and leave the turkey to smoke.
- The longer you leave the turkey in the bin, the smokier it’ll be. We recommend smoking it for 1 to 2 hours for a gentle background flavour of smoke.
- After smoking, cook the turkey in the oven as usual at 180°C for 30 minutes per kg.
- Once cooked, rest the turkey for 45 minutes under 2 layers of foil before carving.