Next day delivery UK mainland 3030 reviews 4.74 out 5 rating Award winning produce
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Keep the yolks for something else, such as glazing pies. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they’re fluffy but not too stiff. Pour in 2/3 of the salt and mix with the egg whites until you get a wet-sand consistency.
- Season the rack of venison all over with pepper.
- Grab a large tray and scoop in a layer of the salt and egg mixture that’s about 1cm thick. Lay the rack of venison on top of the mixture then cover the rest of the joint with the mix, packing the salt tight to make a sealed parcel.
- Pour the remaining dry salt on top of the venison. It’ll bake to a golden crust.
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 1.5 hours. Check halfway through to ensure the crust hasn’t caught and scorched. If it has, lower the shelf, turn the tray or cover with a loose sheet of foil.
- When the cooking time is up, test the meat’s perfectly pink by inserting a meat thermometer into the centre of the muscle. You’re looking for a core temperature of 55°C.
- Rest the joint for at least 15 minutes before cracking open the crust and carving into individual cutlets to serve.